Monday, June 23, 2014

I've been threatening to create a blog for a long time

Alright, I've finally decided to actually start a blog.  I'm all full of opinions, but I don't like to use my facebook page to share them.  I wanted to create a blog that dealt with the things that I find most interesting, namely politics and archaeology.

I think that I have some interesting takes on a lot of issues, and I really want to do what I can to learn and clarify as much as I can about politics.  Unfortunately I have a lot of thoughts on a lot of topics, and that makes it hard to start with discreet ideas for blog articles.  Though, in all honesty, what has really kept me from writing a blog has been a combination of laziness and fear of no one reading.

I'm going to be a stay at home dad for most of the next year, starting today.  So I figured that now, today, is the optimal time to just start writing so that I can keep myself busy.  Plus, now instead of posting a long comment on someones status update I can just say, "Hey, I wrote a blog entry on this topic."

My guiding principle for talking about politics is that wedge issue politics are one of the gravest threats facing our country today.  People get very worked up about wedge issues, and they serve to psychologically divide our country into Us and Them.  I think that is a problem.  My goal is to try to find ways to discuss issues that doesn't divide the US into Us and Them, Red and Blue, Republican and Democrat, or Liberal and Conservative.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with Lynn again! And I will miss your long comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'll still leave long comments, but now I won't have to write the same ones over and over quite so much. Please feel free to suggest topics.

    ReplyDelete